Russell Jones is an experienced and effective Principal Consultant, specialised in and with ten years of experience working across local government. Russell is skilled at delivering, developing, and transforming services that improve lives and life chances, and is passionate about the positive impact excellent local government and social care services can have for residents. Russell re-joined PPL in May 2022.
Russell started his local government career ten years ago at a unitary authority in the North West as a frontline youth worker. He subsequently progressed to an operational management role in the service, leading 16 staff, and undertook a secondment in Children’s Commissioning, prior to joining PPL.
Russell previously worked at PPL between 2016 and 2019, where he led on and supported a range of strategy, service development, transformation, and improvement projects and programmes with clients across Social Care (children’s and adults), Housing, and Public Health. At PPL, Russell supported and advised a number of London Boroughs and County Councils.
Between 2019 and 2022 Russell held a number of increasingly senior management roles at the London Borough of Islington spanning strategy, partnership development, and operations in Adult Social Care, Integrated Commissioning, and Public Health. While at Islington, Russell:
• Successfully influenced local planning policy to include a commitment to developing Extra Care Housing and successfully negotiated the development of 60 affordable Extra Care units – the first of their kind in the borough for over 25 years.
• Led quality improvements resulting in improvements in CQC ratings across all services within his portfolio.
• Led development of key strategies including a refreshed Market Position Statement and the 2020/21 Winter Plan.
• Led on the Adult Social Care COVID-19 response, which was recognised as exemplar with an MJ Health and Social Care Award. Russell was additionally shortlisted as a finalist in the LGC Awards ‘Rising Star’ category at Islington.
• Led an operational service comprised of 50 staff, delivering vital public health services during the pandemic.
Russell holds an MA in History from the University of Cambridge.
Return to Who We Are page